Prof. M I Manuha entered the Institute of Indigenous Medicine, University of Colombo in January 1985 as an undergraduate to pursue the degree programme leading to Bachelor of Unani Medicine and Surgery. She continued her association with the Institute by joining as an academic after obtaining First Class Honours for her first degree. Dr Manuha received her postgraduate qualification: MPhil from the University of Colombo and also the PhD in food & Nutrition from the University of Kalaniya; She also received SEDA value in the course leading to Certificate in Teaching in Higher Education. He serves the Institute of Indigenous Medicine University of Colombo as a Senior Lecturer in Unani Clinical Medicine at present.
During Prof. Manuha’s tenure in the Institute, he was appointed to various Academic as well as Administrative positions. He has served as the Head of the Unani Section, Head of the Department of Basic principles of Unani, student counselor, Academic Coordinator of the Unani section, Chairperson of Curriculum Revision Committee etc.
Prof. Manuha possessed Memberships in various Associations such as ;
• Member of the Standing Committee on Indigenous Medicine; UGC
• Member of the Senate , University of Colombo
• Member of the Board of Management of the Institute of Indigenous Medicine.
• Chairperson of the Unani Sectional Committee
• Member of the Ethical Review Committee of the Institute of Indigenous Medicine
• Member of the Research Development Committee
• Member of College and Hospital Board; Ministry of Indigenous Medicine.
She has published many books related to Unani Medicine and health and numerous research articles. She has also conducted many health awareness programmes in electronic media and in radio.
Prof. Manuha has spent 19 years of her life in the ‘Institute’ and her commitment and dedication to the teaching and development of the Unani Medicine is highly commendable.