Dr M H M Nazeem entered the Institute of Indigenous Medicine, University of Colombo in January 1983 as an undergraduate to pursue the degree programme leading to Bachelor of Unani Medicine and Surgery. He was performing well in the successive examinations and even in the final examinations also he secured first class honours pass. Dr Nazeem continued his association with the Institute by joining as an academic in 1993. Dr.Nazeem received his postgraduate qualification leading to MPhil from the University of Colombo. He has also qualified in Modern Pharmacy. and subsequently successfully completed a Modern Medical course leading to Estate Medical Assistant. He also got the Training in Integrative Medicine in Malaysia and later followed Cupping Therapy Course in the United Kingdom. He has now been serving for the Institute as a Senior Lecturer in Unani Clinical Medicine at present.
Dr Nazeem was appointed to various Academic and Administrative positions. He has served as the Head of the Unani Section, student counselor, Academic Coordinator of the Unani section, Coordinator to the AYUSH; India, Member of Curriculum Revision Committee etc etc. At present he serves as Head of the Unit of Unani Clinical Medicine (Moalijat) and also a Member of the Ayurveda Medical Council.
Dr Nazeem held Memberships in various Associations such as ;
• Chairman of the Unani Sectional Committee of the Institute of Indigenous Medicine.
• Member of the Board of Management of the Institute of Indigenous Medicine.
• Secretary of the Alumi Association of the Institute of Indigenous Medicine.
• Life member of the Pharmaceutical Association of Sri Lanka.
• Member Integrative Medical Association ;Malaysia..
• Overseas member of the Ayurveda Medical Association United Kingdom.
• member of the Sri Lanka Estate Medical Association.
He has published a book on Unani Basic principles, many research articles in refereed journals. Dr. Nazeem also has published more than 75 Health related articles and conducted many health awareness programmes in electronic media and in radio.
Dr Nazeem ,as a University teacher , has more than 25 years of dedicated service and his commitment to the teaching and development of the Institute is highly commendable.
Unit of Unai Clinical Medicine (Moalijat)