Dr (Mrs) WMSSK Kulatunga entered the Institute of Indigenous Medicine, University of Colombo in February 1983 as an undergraduate and continued her association with the university by joining the university academic after obtaining First Class Honors for her first degree. She has awarded Dr. B. L. Saranalis Silva Kvithilaka Wikramathunge Wedamuhamdiram scholarship to obtained highest marks for Nidana Chikithsa (Medicine) subject in final BAMS examination.
Dr Kulatunga received her postgraduate qualification MD(Ayurveda) from Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi, India with specialization of Swasthavritta and Yoga (Ayurveda Community Medicine and Yoga).
During Dr Kulatunga’s tenure in the Institute of Indigenous Medicine, University of Colombo, she was appointed various Academic as well as Administrative positions. She has served as the Head, Department of Swasthavritta and the Department of Deshiya Chikithsa, Senior Student Counselor, Institute Medical Officer, and Course Coordinator of Postgraduate Diploma in Ayurveda medicine, Chairperson of the Examination Sub Committee, and Acting Sectional Head of the Ayurveda Section on many occations.
Dr Kulatunga has given her contribution to the field of Ayurveda and Traditional Medicine which are highlighted here
- Visiting Lecturer and examiner of Gampaha Wickramarachchi Ayurveda Institute, University of Kelaniya, 2001-2006
- Resource person for Oral Health Prevention Programme in National Institute of Traditional Medicine
- Resource person for Ayurveda Shasthree Teachers Training Programme in National Institute of Traditional Medicine
- Resource person for preparation of Teachers Hand Book in National Institute of Traditional Medicine
- Examiner for Ayurveda Shasthree Examination, Department of Ayurveda since 2000.
- Resource person, Curriculum revision for the registration of Traditional Ayurveda physicians in Ayurveda Medical Council, Department of Ayurveda.
- Chairperson, preparation of Dengue prevention programme in the Department of Ayurveda
- Committee member of the preparation of Strategic Plan for prevention in Indigenous Medical system, Ministry of Health, Nutrition and Indigenous Medicine
Dr Kulatunga has published book chapters and numerous research articles in locally and internationally reputed journals
Dr Kulatunga has spent more than 35 years of her life in the Institute of Indigenous Medicine, University of Colombo and her commitment and dedication to the teaching Research and national development has enabled her to contribute to the development of the Institute of Indigenous Medicine, University of Colombo as well as the Sri Lankan society.